It's award season time again. The nomination period is now open for the 2014 New Pulp Awards (formerly known as the Pulp Ark Awards). I have a few items that were released in 2013 that are eligible for nominations. I will be making my nominations this week, but if anyone is interested in nominating work or creators, now's your chance as it is open to all to nominate.
The Categories open for Nomination until 5 PM CST February 24, 2014.
Only One Nomination allowed per person per category.
Best Collection/Anthology: Frontier (BEN Books), The Avenger: Roaring Heart Of The Crucible (Moonstone), The Big Bad: An Anthology Of Evil (Dark Oak Press), The Spider: Extreme Prejudice (Moonstone Books), The New Adventures Of The Green Ghost (Pro Se Productions), and Writers For Relief Vol. 3
Best short story: I had stories appearing in Frontier (BEN Books), The Avenger: Roaring Heart Of The Crucible (Moonstone), The Spider: Extreme Prejudice (Moonstone Books), The New Adventures Of The Green Ghost (Pro Se Productions), and Writers For Relief Vol. 3 that are all eligible.
Best Novella: Fight Card: Barefoot Bones (Fight Card Books)
Best Pulp Revival: The New Adventures Of The Green Ghost (Pro Se Productions)
Best Author: Bobby Nash is eligible
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE-
For the last three years The Pulp Ark Awards, awarded in conjunction with the Pulp Ark New Pulp Convention and Writer’s Conference have been the most comprehensive and only fan voted awards for the genre fiction identified as New Pulp. According to Tommy Hancock, founder and coordinator of Pulp Ark and the Awards, although the Convention and Conference will not occur in 2014, the legacy of the Pulp Ark Awards
“The Pulp Ark Awards,” says Hancock, “were called such because of the associated convention. With there being no convention it seems odd to call them the Pulp Ark Awards. Also, because of a couple of other circumstances, the decision has been made to change the name of the awards. As these awards strive to represent the broad field that is New Pulp, it is only fitting that they should be the New Pulp Awards, especially since I, and several recipients and those involved with the awards were part of the group that in 2011 put together what has been referred to as The New Pulp Movement, a group of creators and publishers intending to promote New Pulp as a whole. So, from this point forward, the yearly awards will be known as The New Pulp Awards.”
Nominations for the 2014 New Pulp Awards are now open and will close at 5 PM CST on February 24th, 2014. Anyone can nominate in any of the available categories for work that was published in 2014, either in print, ebook form, or in an established internet venue, such as an e-magazine. Postings on personal blogs do not qualify.
All nominations that are made that fit the qualifications of New Pulp will be placed on the final ballot, regardless of the number of nominations any one work or individual receives. NO CREATOR MAY NOMINATE HIM/HERSELF OR HIS/HER WORK FOR A NEW PULP AWARD. Publishers may, however, nominate works from their own publishing houses as long as the Publisher is not a writer or artist involved in the nominated work. This is also a change from previous years.
To determine if a work or creator qualifies for these awards the definition for works that qualify is as follows-New Pulp is fast-paced, plot-oriented storytelling of a linear nature with clearly defined, larger than life protagonists and antagonists, creative descriptions, clever use of turns of phrase and other aspects of writing that add to the intensity and pacing of
Hancock also states, “We will also give a Lifetime Achievement Award again this year as well. A Ten Person committee selected from well-known Creators in New Pulp currently will decide the recipient of this award. This award is given to someone who has contributed to Pulp, not necessarily just New Pulp, but to the continuation of the interest and promotion of Pulp in all its forms.” Last year’s winner of the Lifetime Achievement Award was Charles Boeckman.
The New Pulp Awards will be awarded as a part of MidSouthCon, in Memphis, Tennessee, on March 23rd, 2014. For more information on MidSouthCon, one of the premiere Pop Culture conventions in the South, go to www.midsouthcon.org.
www.NewPulpAwards2014.blogspot.com and available for anyone who wishes to cut and paste and email the ballot to NewPulp2014@yahoo.com. Each ballot must contain a link to a Facebook page, a Twitter account, an email profile, or some other verifiable source by which the identity of the voter can be affirmed.
Although Hancock will still be the Coordinator of the New Pulp Awards, there will be a body of a total of five individuals who will have full access to all information, including the received nominations and votes throughout the process.
The Categories open for Nomination until 5 PM CST February 24, 2014, are as follows.
1. Best Novel (This includes E-books as well as print books and length must be 40,000 + words)
2. Best Collection/Anthology (This includes single author story collections and multi- author anthologies. This includes E-publications as well as print books)
3. Best short story (this includes stories that appear in short story collections, anthologies, magazines, and e magazines. If from an e-mag, the story must appear on a site identified as an e-magazine, not simply be posted on a site or blog. It includes e-publications as well as traditionally printed works. Length must be 17,500 words or less.)
4. Best Novella (this includes stories that appear in short story collections, anthologies, magazines, and e magazines. If from an e-mag, the story must appear on a site identified as an e-magazine, not simply be posted on a site or blog. It includes e-publications as well as traditionally printed works. Length must be 17,500- 40,000 words)
5. Best Cover Art (This is restricted to prose book publications, including e-books)
6. Best Interior Art (This is restricted to prose book publications, including e-books)
7. Best Pulp Related Comic (This refers to a series, complete run, one shot, etc. This award is for art, writing, and all other work associated with the nominated comics and the winner. This includes e-publications as well. )
8. Best Pulp Magazine (This award is for art, writing, and all other work associated with the nominated comics and the winner. This includes e-publications as well, but the e-publication must be identified as an e-magazine on the site supporting it. )
9. Best Pulp Revival (The Revival nominated must be published within the calendar year of 2013 and relates specifically to characters featured in Pulps when they were originally created. This includes epublications as well.)
10. Best New Character (This must be a character that debuts in a New Pulp work published in 2013. This included e-publications as well)
11. Best Author (This reward refers to the author and any author with work published in 2013 is eligible, including novels, short stories, etc. This includes e-publications as well).
12. Best New Writer (To be nominated, a writer must have been published for the first time in the pulp field in the calendar year of 2013. This includes e-publications as well).
Send all nominations or any questions to email@example.com.